A day in the life – my usual Saturday

I’ve decided that I am a very nosy person? Why? well as well as really enjoying sitting in coffee shops people watching and listening into conversations, I always tend to fall into interview mode whenever I meet someone new asking loads of questions (probably why I never get invited out or on dates). If someone mentions something which really intrigues me then again I dive in, asking questions, many of which people would never ever ask but always want to – yes I am that person who just asks it. A few months ago YouTube was awash with ‘Draw my Life’ videos and, although I really like watching these, I much prefer, if I can find them, ‘Day in the Life’ videos. Well, if they can do a video about a day in their life then so can I – so here is my usual, Saturday!

Now, when I had this idea it seemed to be a very good one, although I actually hit some very basic problems as I embarked on the project. Firstly, the only camera I have is a huge ancient digital SLR which does video as well. I actually have to use two hands just to hold it and face it forward, so actually turning around to face myself is actually quite out of the question – plus I would have no idea whether I was actually in shot or not! I could of course ask someone else to video me, but my choice is limited to my mum and brother and neither would be able to follow me around for a day filming. Not to be put off or deterred by the lack for filming options, I thought I would do it the old fashion way. So here, for your delight and probably entertainment, is my usual Saturday in ‘Words and Pictures’!

  • 6:30 – 7:00 – Waking Up – Don’t worry the picture accompanying this is not me in my pajamas and ruffled hair. Actually taking a picture first thing in the morning is not a good idea since first I have to put my glasses on to see and then locate camera, turn the light on and take the pic (still with glasses on since otherwise I don’t know if I am in the shot!). I’m not the best sleeper around and I actually have started to use a sleep application to see how long I actually sleep for. I wake up sometime between 6:30 and 7:00 – then, once checking Twitter, Facebook and Discord, I’m up, showered, washed and shaved and ready for the day. Saturday is actually the only day when I don’t have breakfast – well not first thing in any case- you will see why if you managed to read more of this post.

  • 7:45 – 8:30 Food Shopping – I used to go and meet my mum while she shopped with my sister on a Saturday morning, but I think they must have got sick of me turning up since they have changed their days. I still drive to the shops (the only time I actually regularly drive my car) do my food shopping and then come straight back home. Sometimes I have to visit the chemist for my repeat prescription or get my haircut (not at the chemist you understand) -every four weeks, at 8:30 but if neither of these are on the schedule then it is home and unpack the shopping.

  • 9:00 – 11:00 Coffee and Blog Writing – As soon as the food shoping is away then its coat on and time to walk to my local shopping centre where there is a Costa. Here I settle down with my Soya Wet Latte and two slices of white toast for breakfast – while I check emails etc again. Then its time to complete my blog writing for the week. I don’t know what I would do without my trusty MacBook Pro. I actually carry it everywhere with me and it works perfectly. The only down side about blog writing at Costa is that the ‘two’ table I sit at is rather small and it is hard to fit everything on! I write for this blog one week and then my professional blog the week after. It usually takes me a while to write the waffle (posts) although I don’t actually proof read them in this sitting. I also keep an eye on discord etc and answer any questions I can and post comments on Facebook etc – like Jamie Oliver says in fifteen meals – it’s multitasking to the max!

  • 11:00 – 13:00 Housework and Lunch – After the blog posts had been completed and the last dregs of the coffee drunk its coat on and walk home. It takes about 20 minutes to walk to and from the coffee shop and I use this time wisely to think about adventures for both Shadowrun and D&D as well as ideas for videos and jingles for the radio show. Sometimes I actually catch up with my latest audio book, but I usually reserve this for walking to and from work. Once I get home, its time to plug everything in to recharge while I tackle housework and washing. I’m not sure whether I have ever seen people add these to their ‘Day in a Life’ video – but I guess living alone I need to do it sometime! Lunch is normally straight after the floors have been washed and I am sat washing the next installment of a Twitch video, or a film I have downloaded or – which is more often the case – reading up rules for the games I DM/GM.

  • 13:00 – 15:00 Admin Tasks – I have decided to write another waffle about everything which I do relating to streaming, actually away from the time I am streaming. First job in this section of the day is to actually proof read and record this waffle. I actually read it out loud and correct it before recording it, uploading it and publishing it. Then there are so many admin tasks to do. Overlays to make, decide on topics to talk about on stream, commands to set up on Deepbot, maps to create and upload to Roll20, tokens for the games, videos to edit, YouTube to sort out and Minecraft issues to solve, the list is endless. I actually use a task managing application called OmniFocus to try and keep everything up to date, although sometimes I frequently forget or miss things out. At the same time I am trying to keep the conversation going on Discord and replying to people on Facebook and Twitter and, in some rare cases, solving issues with the guild, people’s characters and interpretation of the rules. No matter what, I need to ensure that I am sorted and set up to stream at 15:00.

  • 15:00 – 18:00 Streaming Star Wars: The Old Republic – Hopefully I don’t need to talk a lot about this since you will have come along and seen me live! It always amazes me how quick these three hours ago and I am also so grateful for all the help and support that people give me. When I first started to stream there was literally me and one or two other people and, although I don’t have a huge following/viewership now, it is really nice to have a bunch of fantastic viewers who come week after week to support me and my stream.

  • 18:00 – 20:00 Food and Viewing – Once the end stream music has finished and the camera and light are off it is panic stations once more! There are a number of great streamers broadcasting at this time and I try to watch two at the same time, while supporting others by popping in chatting for a while. I remember so much that feeling when I started to stream of just seeing the viewer counter saying ‘1’ for so long. I actually did think I had one viewer until I realised it was probably my ‘bot’. I try and ask questions, make comments and give words of encouragement as well as sending the odd donation here and there. I remember the first time I actually got a donation and if I can give someone that feeling then it makes me happy. Sometimes I get carried away and definitely pay the price for this when the month’s credit card bill comes in! I also need to grab some food and get the dishes sorted before I start the next stream for Saturday. Playing D&D is slightly different when streaming is concerned and I need to sort everyone joining Zoom (an online meeting service I pay for after Roll20 crashed so many times) and ensuring that everyone’s mic is working and things are ready to go. I usually try and start to sort this from about 19:30.

  • 20:00 – Midnight Streaming D&D – This is the last part of my Saturday. This is probably my most stressful streaming session. As well as having to interact with other people on the stream, I need to ensure that I interact with the people in the game as well – something which, being rather socially in adept, I’m not very good at. There are also often technical issues to sort and challenges with the rules. I really like streaming both D&D and Shadowrun, but they are quite stressful for me. After I have tried to finish the encounter on a cliff hanger, its let everyone say good bye, read my script of thank yous and, for the second time in the day, turn off the camera and light and breath a sigh of relief.

  • So that is my Saturday! Each and every Saturday is roughly the same unless I have to work. I try and get into bed and drift off as soon as I possibly can after the D&D stream since I know that the alarm will wake me up at 6:30 – 7:00 Sunday morning. I hope this hasn’t been too boring to read and/or listen to and I hope the images gave you some additional information. If you are interested I could also write a similar ‘day in the life of’ for Sunday – believe me there are a lot of similarities. You might have got to this point in the waffle and come to the conclusion that I have a a very regimented and boring Saturday and I think I would probably agree. My main focus is to get everything done and to keep busy since I quite easily get bored. Plus I always think I want to get to the end of my life and have no regrets and feel that I have done everything I wanted and achieved as much as I can.

    I can’t imagine that you will, but if you have any questions about my Saturday or any comments then please free feel to add them in the comment box below. It is quite easy to register for an account and I always reward all the members of my website by sending them a virtual hug. Anyway – it’s nearly 11:00 so I am going to head off for the next part of my day so I just wanted to say – Have fun, and I’ll catch you all later and, until then, consider yourself waffled.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.