I’ve been thinking about my Patreon page a lot. I really like the concept of the page and really enjoyed making my tiers. But as the months have progressed and mu patrons have grown from 0 o 3, I have started to have a crisis of conscience. And, because of this, I have decided to change some things. I’m not sure how this will all work but I definitely need to make a stand.
Value my supporters
I don’t have a lot of self-esteem or self-confidence so I am always completely amazed when people actually turn to up watch me live stream, watch my videos or even read my wafflings here on my blog. What amazes me, even more, is that people subscriber, donate or support me during my exploits.
Everyone is different and I am always so appreciative of the support in any way people can. Sometimes they might subscribe on Twitch, others press my ‘Like’ button on Youtube or just view/read my blog posts. People have different incomes, different commitments and different demands on their time and I value the support that anyone can give no matter what the level. A pound donation might be small change to some people, while to others that might actually be doing without something that month. Actually lurking in my stream for 30 minutes might be a serious commitment for some people for who’s time is in high demand. I want to value everyone’s support I and suddenly realised that I was slipping into a model of support which I didn’t actually agree with.
More Money = More Options
There is a certain business model that I am not keen on. I understand the theory behind it but I am not sure I agree with it. The more you have the more you can give and the more you get in return. I have blogged about this before, the subscription model which some companies use and that feeling that if you want something extra you have to pay for it. I am not keen on this since basically if you have the cash you can actually get more. I understand that this is probably how the world works, but it doesn’t mean that I have to fall into the same model.
I am not, however, completely naive. Although I would love to give everything away for ‘free’ this is not a viable business model, unless I win the lottery of course! Also, some platforms are set up for different levels of donation which can’t be removed without removing everything. I need to make some money to finance my content creation, but I don’t want to fall into a model that I do not feel right with.
So this is what I am planning on doing:
- Patreon: I am still going to have the tiers, but there is not going to be an increased amount of rewards between each tier. If you can afford more, then thank you. If you can’t then I am not going to restrict content because of this.
- Twitch: Yes you can still donate, cheer, subscribe as you wish, but I am going to use the email subs feature on Twitch to share with you all the content that goes on my Patreon Blog which is only available for patrons.
- Merchandise: I do need to make a profit with these, but I will always endeavour to keep this as low as possible. I will also look into other ways to allow supporters to have access to the merch – for example, when @streamelements allow it, via a giveaway. I will try to make this available to everyone and not just on Twitch (I think Gleam might be an option here), so keep an eye out for the links.
- Sale Items: My adventure notes and fiction, I am going to check how much I actually lose to the online store, but I am hoping to charge just £1.00 for everything, yep, it’s going to be like the UK’s Poundland stores! It does take me some time and energy to create these so hopefully, no one will mind donating a pound for them.
- Option to donate: Some people might be able to give a little more for any of the items I create or even watching me on YouTube and/or Twitch. Because of this, there will always be a link to my donate/tip page so that people can give a little extra if they want to. But this will be optional.
Some people might be thinking I am mad at this point. Not everyone in the world is kind and generous and some people will, I am sure, take advantage of this policy. However, the majority of my supporters will not and these are the people who I really want to reward. I recognise that this is not the best business model around and it probably means that I will never be able to survive doing just my content creation. But it does sit better with my values and how I want to share my content.
In conclusion, I will try to make everything available to everyone, support in any way you can and, in case I forget to say it, HUGE THANKS!